My current youtube hoard

For discussions about different technology stacks. What tools are you using to create your website? Share them here!
Xwanto

My current youtube hoard

Post by Xwanto »

hey yall! I just saw yukinu's forum on the rss feed, and im glad to be here lol...
I've just started archiving a ton of youtube channels recently because of the whole state of the world, and i'd just like to share my collection stuff w/ yall.
So far, I have 994 GB of videos, descriptions, metadata, and subs, which are all from a diverse variety of channels...

what kind of data do you archive and hoard??
Carn

Re: My current youtube hoard

Post by Carn »

I used to download a bunch of books and organize them. The purpose of this was to "prepare for the end" or something like that. My collection isn't that impressive, it's only around 80 books or 700 Megabytes. Your post actually made me look back on my collection for the first time in years. Wow, I used to read a lot. I realized that I prefer physical books much more now, so I try to get those when I can.
Galladite

Post by Galladite »

I archive a mixture of things; I have about 1,000 ebooks, maybe 20 youtube channels, films and series, music... the music alone is 326GB (mostly .flacs). One of the most interesting things I have is archived websites with working archived downloads. I have about 50 of them in total. There's just something I love about browsing webcomics or blogs offline.

Does anyone else do this? What are some of your most interesting archived sites? Mine is my collection of *nscripter-related websites, which is a visual novel engine. You can see it live on my website.
Don't thee thou me, thee thou thissen, and 'ow tha likes thee thouing.

My website
Yukinu
Site Admin

Post by Yukinu »

Xwanto wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 1:01 am what kind of data do you archive and hoard??
Have quite a few youtube videos in my archives. Mostly videos from small channels that were impactful on a personal level and some historical videos (old videos from the 2000s era yt). Many small and old channels are likely not archived, and it's possible they may be removed or deindexed in the future. A few years ago Twitch started deleting old VoDs due to server costs, so definitely possible yt starts deleting old videos at some point.
Galladite wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 8:21 am One of the most interesting things I have is archived websites with working archived downloads. I have about 50 of them in total. There's just something I love about browsing webcomics or blogs offline.

Does anyone else do this?
I do the same, offline browsing is great! For a lot of software tools, I'll keep offline copies of the documentation. In a lot of cases it is easier to browse the offline documentation rather than going to the search engine. Python, for example. ships with an excellent set of offline HTML documentation with search functionality built in completely offline. Also have many articles saved as bundled HTML pages. A lot of links go dead every year (last stat I found on dead links said that the half-life of a link is 2 years), better off keeping offline copies of web pages instead of relying only on bookmarks.
Grafo

Post by Grafo »

Xwanto wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 1:01 am So far, I have 994 GB of videos, descriptions, metadata, and subs, which are all from a diverse variety of channels...
Wow, that's a lot! The other day I was wondering how much of youtube would survive if Google decides to plug the plug. I wonder if something like the Geocities archive but for youtube would even be possible .
In my case what I save the most is music. Since I decided to avoid Spotify I've been rebuilding my music library little by little.
Xwanto

Post by Xwanto »

In my case what I save the most is music. Since I decided to avoid Spotify I've been rebuilding my music library little by little.
i too have been trying to move away from spotify, and instead using all my music through my jellyfin server. I've noticed that it's a lot better for higher quality, seeing as you can literally stream flacs, but you aren't able to download for offline play on the jellyfin player on android, which is pretty annoying. Also have thought about using a server software made specifically made for music, but haven't gotten around to it.

Post by Guest »

Yay for tor posting if this goes through.

I hoard a lot of music, mostly lossless but a chunk is mp3. Mostly vaporwave and shoegaze, some denpa and city pop. Right now the count is 12k songs, 5.2 weeks of playtime and 280gb, and steadily growing.
I have about 150gb of music waiting to be imported.

I manage this monstrosity through git annex. Anyone else use it?
I have a blog post in the works for my site on how everything works, not on the lainchan ring yet, but eventually.
Minu

Post by Minu »

Just about everything that I find interesting.

I'll try to keep what I talk about in this post to web videos. It's 99% YouTube, though.
I currently have 2.1TiB of web videos, when I come across a channel I find interesting I'll archive the whole thing.
I have an elaborate system to do so, though it has several rough edges. In addition to channels, I also have similar systems for playlists and individual videos.

They all download new videos (meaning uploaded within 30 days) once every day, and then redownloads them once they're more than 30 days old, always at the highest quality available and with metadata. The reason to redownload after a month is because Google transcodes them in the background and it can take a few weeks to finish. This can cause dupes when the uploader slightly changes the title after uploading (to "hack the algorithm"), because my system is based off of filenames. For example, the Veritasium video "The 4 things you need to be an expert" that I downloaded on 2022-08-02 is a 1080p h264, and the renamed "The 4 things it takes to be an expert" that I downloaded on 2022-09-02 is a 4k AV1.

Currently there is one channel on YouTube that I want to archive, but it has been around since 2014 and has LOTS of videos. I remember the first time I blindly tried to archive it and a week later realized it was several TB in, still downloading, and only halfway through the channel's history. I'm just using playlists of the content I like on it for now, but maybe someday I'll grab all of it.
Grafo

Post by Grafo »

Xwanto wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 12:43 am Also have thought about using a server software made specifically made for music, but haven't gotten around to it.
What I'm using to stream my music right now is Plex and the app called Symfonium on my phone (it let me download). So far it's been working really good